Future Perfect Water-Optional Cleanser
Get More From A Face Cleanser And Spa-like Massage

Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Review of Two Sephora Palettes: Primal Instincts and Moonshadow Baked

I recently looked on Sephora.com and saw that they had some cute eyeshadow palettes. I was especially interested in the Primal Instincts one. Following will be reviews of: Primal Instincts eyeshadow and Moonshadow Baked eyeshadow palettes.

 

SEPHORA PRIMAL INSTINCTS PALETTE

100_4140100_4142

The Primal Instincts palette ($28.00) is the one pictured above. It has fourteen shadows, three matte and eleven shimmery tones. They are all a mix of warm and cool tones and would be great for any skin tone. My feeling is that the colors work better for either a nude eye or a smoky eye. The look I am going to show you today is a smoky eye. I took Taupe (shimmery gray) and used it in the crease, then used Deep Burgundy (shimmery reddish bronze) on the outer edge of the eye and under the eye. I then used Apricot (shimmery champagne) on the lid and up into the crease. Under the brow I used the matte tone Universal Beige (matte cream) and blended it with the Taupe. For mascara I used MAC’s Extended Play in Black and I lined with Illamasqua’s Medium Pencil in Honour (chocolate brown).

100_4147100_4151100_4158100_4149100_4155100_4154

On my cheeks I used Cargo’s Blu-Ray Blush (matte peach-pink) and for lipstick I went drugstore with L’Oreal’s Golden Splendor (light gold) over Cover Girl Sublime liner.

100_4144100_4145

I find the Primal Instincts palette to have very pigmented eyeshadows as you can see from the photos. The colors went on very smoothly and had no fallout. There are fourteen shadows for $28.00, which is a good price. The kicker is whether or not you feel you want to do just nude and smoky eyes. Is this Sephora’s answer to Urban Decay’s Naked palettes? Likely. And the good thing is there are a number of warm and cool shadows in the palette. In the first Naked palette there was a plethora of warm shadows and in the second there were the cool shadows, so this is more economical.

SEPHORA MOONSHADOW BAKED PALETTE

100_4107100_4108

The Moonshadow Baked Palette ($30.00) consists of ten baked eyeshadows that vary from nude tones to vibrant turquoise. I was hesitant about this one because I have had bad luck with Sephora’s baked eyeshadows in the past. However I was pleasantly surprised when I used these dry.

100_4137100_4123100_4115100_4133100_4114

For this look I used Toasted Rose (reddish brown) in the crease, outer edge of the eye and under the eye. I used Gold (shimmery yellow) on the lid and up into the crease. Under the brow I blended Shimmery White. As you can see these have very good pigmentation dry and I am sure they would do very well when wet. There was some fallout though, which is very common with baked shadows. To line my upper lid I used Too Faced Cosmetics new Three Way Lash Lining Tool and their Lashgasm mascara in Black. On my cheeks I used Illamasqua’s Powder Blush in Disobey (matte bonze brown) and I used Make Up For Ever’s Lab Shine Gloss M6 (shimmery bronze).

My main gripe is that this eyeshadow palette is $30.00! I think the other palette has better value. It must be because it is “baked”. I think if you want a palette, go with the Primal Instincts one. It has good pigmentation and more eyeshadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Review: SEPHORA PRO Palette in Warm #SEPHORA #PROPaletteinWarm

(product photo courtesy of www.sephora,com )  SEPHORA PRO Palette in Warm $68.00 This deluxe eyeshadow palette with 38 warm color...

Girl Up

KVD Vegan Beauty