Future Perfect Water-Optional Cleanser
Get More From A Face Cleanser And Spa-like Massage

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Review: Urban Decay’s The Vice Palette

104_5981104_5982
This year for the holiday season Urban Decay has slowly been releasing their offerings. I like this because it gives my wallet a little breathing room. Their biggest offering by far is limited edition The Vice Palette, 20 exclusive new eyeshadows and one of their great eyeshadow brushes. Read on for a thorough review of this palette. It is available at www.urbandecay.com for $59.00. My job is to tell you whether or not to spend the money.

104_6024104_6028

This palette contains a mixture of shimmer, glitter and matte shades. First let me describe the color names: Desperation (matte gray green), Muse (shimmery glitter bronze), Jagged (shimmery glitter olive gold), Blitz (shimmery gold), Penny Lane (shimmery orange copper), Junkie (shimmery glitter blue-green with gold), Chaos (matte bright blue), Occupy (shimmery glitter blue-silver), Unhinged (shimmery bright turquoise blue), Black Market (matte black charcoal), Provocateur (very shimmery glitter pink), Rapture (shimmery lilac with a hint of blue), Vice (shimmery bluish purple), Noise (shimmery glitter wild raspberry, similar to Woodstock), Armor (shimmery glitter silver), Nevermind (shimmery chamagne), Echo Beach (shimmery beige cream), Anonymous (matte light cream), Freebird (shimmery medium pink) and Laced (matte pinkish beige). Now, I firmly believe that these colors are almost all colors that Urban Decay has done before in some form or another. Sad but true.

I was very excited to get it. However, there is a caveat. When I went to swatch them I was disappointed in how the colors did not live up to previous Urban Decay shadows. I can live with it having reincarnated eyeshadows, but I want quality! Normally the quality of their shadows is on par with the most expensive on the market. Some of the shadows in this palette are not as good as I would like them to be. If you look at the swatches above you can see that the glitter shadows don’t go on as smoothly or have as much pigmentation as the shimmer eyeshadows. Also, the lighter matte shadows on the bottom of the palette (Anonymous and Laced) have little to no pigmentation at all. It’s upsetting because those two would be great shadows otherwise. Normally their glitter shadows have very good pigmentation. The shimmer shades have great pigmentation and go on very well. I am upset because I expect this palette to be wonderful for the money and the hype behind it. I would still have likely purchased it anyway, since I collect their palettes. 

104_6009104_6023104_5994104_6001104_6003104_5997

For this look I took Nevermind and used it in the crease. I used Rapture on the outer edge of the lid and under the eye. Vice was used all over the lid and then I swept Noise in the middle of the lid and blended it in to give Vice some oomph and lighten the lid up a little. Under the brow I used Echo Beach. I lined my eyes (upper and lower lids) with Perversion 24/7 Glide-On Pencil. Lancôme's Hypnose Doll Lashes mascara in Black completed the look on the eyes. On my cheeks I used Illamasqua’s Allure blush (from the Generation Q collection I discussed yesterday http://iamthemakeupjunkie.blogspot.com/2012/09/review-illamasqua-generation-q-where.html). The lips shimmer with Bobbi Brown’s Naked Plum High Shimmer lipgloss.

Okay, so if you take the cost of the palette ($59.00) and divide the number of shadows, the cost of each is $2.95. That makes the actual palette very reasonable. However, it helps if the palette shadows are of great quality too. I find that in this palette the shadows are NOT up the the wonderful quality that has been the standard that Urban Decay has set for themselves. If you are a collector, like me, then this palette is probably going to make it into your hands.  If you aren’t a collector, then it might be a no go for you. I hope this review was helpful.

2 comments:

  1. I was excited when I heard about this palette but at the same time disappointed. I was expecting the matte and shimmer eyeshadows to be balanced off but instead there was more shimmer eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you disappointed in the quality as well?

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Review: SEPHORA PRO Palette in Warm #SEPHORA #PROPaletteinWarm

(product photo courtesy of www.sephora,com )  SEPHORA PRO Palette in Warm $68.00 This deluxe eyeshadow palette with 38 warm color...

Girl Up

KVD Vegan Beauty